Total 10 Health Benefits of Running and Jogging.
Physical exercises such as jogging, running, walking, dancing, yoga, pranayama, etc. are critical for maintaining optimal health. Physical exercises act as a catalyst for improving health. In the modern lifestyle due to sedentary lives, exercises have become more important than ever. Exercise for at least 20 minutes should be an essential part of our lives.
The science of Ayurveda also emphasizes physical exercise on a regular basis. According to Ayurveda, physical activities clear the srotas (transport channels within the body) and blockages. They reduce stress and a sense of well-being is also improved. Ayurveda recommends that running and jogging should be done during the day time which is considered as the Kapha period.
Ayurveda has also recommended exercises according to body type. For example, Vata types need less exercise, Pitta types need a moderate amount of exercise whereas Kapha types need intense exercise routines.
The top 10 health benefits of running and jogging are:
1. Improve Digestion and Metabolism: Jogging and running leads to the improvement of digestive fire and improve metabolism. They increase blood circulation and increase Peristalsis in the colon and intestine and help in regulating bowel movement. They also support the body’s pathway of detoxification by kindling the Agni (digestive fire) throughout the tissues and improve digestion and elimination.
2. Help in maintaining a balance between body and mind: It is said that a balanced diet, regular physical activity, and good sleep are the three principles of a healthy life. Regular jogging and running not only make the body strong but make the mind positive too. Regular jogging and running make the person mentally strong. The brain cells become more active which leads to better memory and concentration.
3. Stress buster:Regular running and jogging lead to the secretion of Endorphins. The Endorphins are known as the neurotransmitters which help to transmit electrical signals within the nervous system. The Endorphins inhibit the communication of stress and pain to the brain. People who regularly do cycling or jogging have enough quantity of Endorphins which helps them to cope with stress or excessive pain.
4. Increased blood flow: The cardio-vascular activity increase during jogging and running. Therefore, there is an increase in the blood flow to the brain. There is also a supply of essential nutrients such as oxygen and glucose to the brain and other parts of the body.
5. Aid weight loss: Running and jogging are excellent workouts for weight loss as these help in burning calories by working on muscles thus reduce visceral fat. Thus, running and jogging support fast metabolism.
6. Strengthen bones and muscles: Moreover, they also reduce the risk of developing Osteoarthritis and also give strength to the Intervertebral disc. Regular running and jogging help in improving bone density and therefore reduce the risk of Osteoporosis.
7. Provide a good dose of Vitamin D: If you run or jog during the morning time, running and jogging help you to get a daily dose of Vitamin D as well. It will also make one feel energetic for the rest of the day. Most of the time, we do not get proper sun exposure due to our lifestyle. Insufficient Vitamin D leads to weak immunity and weak bones. The sunscreen lotion should not be applied to the skin while going out in the sun for jogging or running.
8. Normalize blood sugar levels: Jogging and running lower the HbA1c values in people with diabetes. The muscles use more glucose during exercise which lowers the blood sugar levels. It helps the body to use insulin more efficiently.
9. Good for women's health: Over-weight women suffer from Poly-cystic ovarian disease (PCOD). Jogging and running improve blood circulation and improve the chances of fertility in females. They also help in balancing hormones in women suffering from PCOD and lower the level of male hormones.
10. Reduce the risk of chronic diseases: Lack of regular physical activity is a primary cause of chronic disorders. Regular jogging and walking improve insulin sensitivity, cardiovascular fitness, regular high blood pressure, and body fat. Thus, they help in maintaining a healthy weight and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
One should not indulge in excessive jogging and running as it can aggravate Vata and Pitta dosha.