Best Herbal Treatment for ITP
ITP (Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura) is a disorder that leads to the reduction of platelets in the blood which causes excessive and easy bruising and bleeding. In most cases, children develop ITP from a viral infection and recover from easily without taking any treatment but adults need to take treatment for the recovery.
Symptoms of ITP are:
• Purple spots on the skin that look like a rash
• Blood in urine or stools
• Easy bruising
• Heavy menstrual flow in females
Modern medicine practitioners prescribe steroids, immune globulin injections, and other drugs that boost platelet production. Somehow those may have some side effects and results are not assured sometimes.
Ayurvedic concept of ITP:
ITP is co-related with Raktpitta in Ayurveda on the basis of signs and symptoms. Raktpitta is a bleeding disorder where Pitta vitiated blood flows out. The Pitta dosha gets vitiated and circulates in the bloodstream which is manifested sub-cutaneously. We need to give cooling herbs to deal with this disorder. Let's discuss this.
Herbal Remedies for ITP are:
1. Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera): The roots of the Ashwagandha plant act as an immuno-modulator. The roots also strengthen the bone marrow and bones. They increase the production of white blood cells, red blood cells, and platelets. Being an immune-modulator, this herb inhibits the immunosuppressive state of the body. Therefore, ashwagandha is a very useful herb in ITP as it increases the platelet count by working on the immune system.
2. Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia): Giloy is a miracle herb useful in the treatment of ITP due to its immuno-modulating, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-allergic properties. It works on the immune system and increases the platelet count in an effective and natural way.
3. Durwa Grass (Cynodon dactylon): Durwa grass is known as simple grass. It is very useful in ITP as it controls bleeding. It is cold in potency and balances Pitta and Kapha dosha. The whole plant is used for medicinal purposes. Take 10-20 ml of fresh durwa grass once or twice a day.
4. Spirulina: Spirulina is considered as an important dietary supplement which is obtained from a type of blue-green algae. It is a source of excellent nutritional content. Spirulina has antioxidant, inflammation-fighting properties and has the ability to boost the immune system. It helps in the treatment of ITP by working on the immune system and also serves as a source of nutrition for ITP patients as blood loss can lead to fatigue and weakness.
5. Amla (Emblica officinalis): Amla has been used in Ayurveda for thousands of years. Amla provides relief in ITP as it is cooling and in nature and supports a healthy immune response. It rejuvenates all the tissues in the body and builds ojas as well. Take 10-20 ml freshly prepared amla juice once or twice a day.
6. Arjun: Arjun plant comes under Sheet virya herb i.e. herb which has cold potency. The bark of the Arjun tree is astringent in nature. Being cold in potency, this herb balances Pitta dosha. Due to the astringent property, it arrests excessive bleeding. Therefore, Arjun herb helps in the treatment of ITP in an effective way.
7. Gandhak (Sulphur): Purified sulphur is used for medicinal purposes. In Ayurveda, it is used in the purified form in minute quantity. Sulphur has the ability to cure even changes that occurred in DNA. It shows excellent results in skin problems.
8. Akik Pishti (Agate Calcium): Agate is a gemstone that is found at the bottom of the sea. Akik Pishti is an Ayurvedic compound which is cooling in nature and used for balancing Pitta dosha. It is most suited for bleeding disorders. Since this compound balances Pitta dosha, it is considered as a natural and excellent remedy for ITP.
-Freshly prepared juice of papaya leaves is also beneficial for increasing the number of platelets.
-All sour fruits increase Pitta dosha so sour fruits should be avoided as sour fruits can cause fermentation in the stomach leading to the vitiation of Pitta dosha.
-Intake of sour fruits with milk and milk products should be avoided.
-Avoid spicy foods, alcohol, tea, and coffee.
-Drink the juice of carrot, pomegranate, and beetroot.
-Opt for all gourd vegetables.